Ensuresis, also termed as bed-wetting is the inability of the individuals to control their urination. It is basically categorized into two types, nocturnal and diurnal. In nocturnal bed-wetting, the individual urinates in the bed at night while in diurnal bed-wetting the individual is not able to have a control on his urination in the day time. However, there is also a third condition referred to as mixed bedwetting which involves both the diurnal and nocturnal types.
Bed-wetting is a common problem mainly observed in children but there are certain cases in which adults are also seen suffering from this problem. Here are some of the reasons that can cause bedwetting.
Causes of diurnal bedwetting
- One of the major reasons for this problem is the over activeness of the muscles of the bladder that are not able to hold the urine once the bladder is full. The passage opens automatically letting the urine out. It is mainly due to infection in the urinary tract.
- There are some people who do not urinate when they feel it. Holding the urine for a longer time puts pressure on the muscles which in the long run results in diurnal wetting.
Causes of nocturnal bedwetting
- One of the reasons behind this problem is heredity. So, if the parents had suffered from this problem, there are chances that the kids might also suffer from it.
- Anxiety is another reason which may result in bedwetting at night.
- Problems in urinary system can also be a reason for nocturnal enuresis.